how did i get here?

my husband, my beautiful Dragon, died suddenly at 12:03 AM on 9 February 2009. there was a cold, lovely full moon and 3 feet of snow on the ground. i "slept" for the following 10 months and "woke" to the physical and emotional pain and torments of deep grief. i "woke" to find i had moved the day of his funeral and that i am lost. i am looking for me while i figure out the abstract, unanswerable questions that follow behind any death. my art has evolved. his death changed that as well because i am forever changed and will forever bear the mark of losing the only man i can ever love.
there is alive and there is dead and there is a place in between. i am here wholly in my heart for my children, but i feel empty inside at this time. i miss him. i have not gotten very far in my grief journey. i make no apologies for this.
this is my place, my blog, where i write to tell the universe that i am still here.

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Christmas is Over ~ Butterflies

i am sad today. discombobulated. i feel hollow inside.
and blessed.
my handsome wonderful son came to spend one day with me. he got into town Monday, the 20th in time to pick me up from work. we spend Tuesday, the 21st, together with his sister {my lovely daughter}, and he just left to drive back to Florida. and i feel such heartache. and peace. i love my children. i love them so very much.
they are the best parts of who i was, who i never got to be, who i always wanted to be. i gave them all that i was and am, and i still do.

we have such little time to spend together. there are things i really want to get off my chest, maybe i will someday, but not today. i have to leave for work in an hour and all i want to do is tell you about how great these two people are. my daughter and my son.

"i almost wish we were butterflies that lived but three summer days. three such days with you i could fill with more delight than fifty common years could ever contain." ~ John Keats.

i know he wrote that to the love of his life but my children are also the loves of my life. just as our Dragon was. is. always will be. my children are all i have left in this world. i wish my son lived closer. he is such a joy. so funny and interesting to talk to. such diverse interests.

i cannot believe the both of them are grown and yet, i am glad i got to be here for it.
it was so hard having to watch my son drive away. i walked him to his car. we hugged real tight. we both were a little teary. then we smiled and did the stiff upper lip. life is what it is. we will persevere in spite of it, or to spite it. we will see each other again. and there is always iChat.

but i did stare at the empty parking lot where his car had been for longer than was good for me.
i love my children. we got to have one day to spend together to have Christmas together. and now for me, Christmas is over. i will tell you what i am doing. i think i can type it and not cry. i am spending it alone, working on a quilt, eating what i want when i want and taking a nap maybe. i will watch movies, whatever is on. and hopefully my daughter can stop by later in the day, early evening, for a time, when she can break free. Christmas alone. i am not the first. i am not the only one. but it does feel horrible to know that i will be alone.

i will go to bed alone on the 24th, and wake alone on the 25th, and i will be alone all day until she can stop by. it feels wrong and yet, it is what has happened. there is nothing i can do to change it. but i will make it a good day. Christmas is over for me. i had it on the 21st with my son and daughter. but the meaning of Christmas will come on the 25th as it does every day. i will do my praying/meditating thing, whatever you choose to believe. and i will work and wait.
i got to see my son. i got to have my children together. the Three Musketeers were reunited for one day. the Fourth Musketeer could not come. he had to go on ahead. breaking trail for us to follow. that is the only way to think of it for if i did otherwise, i would never stop crying.

i love my children. i love my Dragon. our brief times together are worth their weight in gold.

butterflies. making the time together count.

5 comments:

Dan said...

Sounds like a lovely, and loving, visit with your son and daughter. I too wish you had more time with them. It's so great to have two people in your life who you can depend on for that unconditional love and support.

Wishing you a peaceful Chrstmas, with loving memories of your Dragon.

Dan

Debbie said...

I'm glad you were able to have time with your children, the three of you together. It sounds like it was a special time. I pray that those memories and memories of your Dragon bring you peace on Christmas day.

Love Deb

Judy said...

Your children are beautiful people. You know---Christmas doesn't HAVE to be on the 25th--it can be on the 21st or the 27th--whatever. At least that is what I told myself the year I was all alone and like you--watched a couple of movies and cross stitched all day. I will be thinking of you and praying that you find peace--no matter what day it is.

Boo said...

I shall be thinking of you tomorrow. I hope that the warmth of the memories of Christmas in past years wraps you up in love. Boo x

Lacey said...

Don't forget that your children are beautiful, partly because your so beautiful. Just as you are blessed to have such wonderful children they are blessed to have a wonderful, creative,kind,loving mother as you... and I am blessed to have a soul sister as you. I know you spent Christmas alone, I did too. I barricaded myself in my nephews room and cried myself to sleep. I tried to pretend Christmas didn't exist in my world, but even without acknowledgement it was painful... I'm sending hugs your way close your eyes and try to feel them!

Post a Comment